The Burning Maze by Rick Riordan
First of all let’s just acknowledge the fact that Melpomene better be really happy now because that stuff was INTENSE. If you haven’t read the book yet, don’t worry, I won’t spoil! If you have and want to talk about it, I’m here!
If you’ve read my reviews for the first two books (here and here) then you should know that wow, Star, you really rated this much better than the others! And that’s because this book was the best one. Now, as you all know I’m a die-hard Percy Jackson fan. He was my first fictional crush and will always hold a special place in my heart, so reading all these continuations is like an obligation forme but I never really felt the same connection or passion from the original PJO/HoO with this or Magnus Chase. UNTIL NOW.
This book was so much better than the other two I can’t even explain to you just how happy I was about that. I’m a sucker for character development and even though Apollo had his very clear moments in the previous installments, this one just hit home. I just am really proud of Lester, okay? *sniffs*
As usual, the chapter titles were haikus and they were hilarious. The sass and sarcasm was beautiful. The cameos (oh, the glorious cameos) were perfect. And none of that took away from the plot and the devastation and heartbreak I felt. Uncle Rick did a great job really bringing the characters to life (and may have started to redeem himself for the absence of Grover in HoO).
Obviously, read this book if you’ve read any of Riordan’s other books (though in order to really understand, you have to read in publication order, because cameos…duh).
Anyway, here’s a little haiku about how I felt after reading this:
I can’t believe Rick,
Biggest shock since M.O.A,
I am still crying.
OKAY OKAY. NOW I’M GOING TO TALK SPOILERS SO IF YOU REALLY HAVEN’T READ IT DON’T READ FURTHER BECAUSE I NEED TO RANT ABOUT A FEW THINGS.
OKAY, DON’T SAY I DIDN’T WARN YOU!
- Piper/Jason breaking up: When this happened I was actually genuinely confused, but also I never really understood their relationship. Like Piper said in the book, the relationship started out under false pretenses and because of that their whole relationship was sort of just forced. Sure, they were cute near the end but I could understand where she was coming from. Though, it’s sort of ironic how she was totally against breaking up with a guy as a rite of passage for the Aphrodite Cabin, but she sort of ended up doing that.
Also can we talk about how Apollo said “girl, but I wanted the dirt”???? Like, same. But also, hilarious.
- Jason: You know, when I first read HoO, I wasn’t a fan of Jason. It honestly took so long for me to actually warm up to him… and then rick did this and I was SHOOK. But also, this was the greatest death scene Rick has ever written? It was shocking, and heart wrenching. And best of all, there were no loopholes. There’s no Leo-Valdezing out of this one. And that’s what made this so amazing. Unlike in HoO, the buildup of the inevitable actually paid off.
But you know what sucks? The promise. We all know what happened last time a promise to the minor deities was made. Percy lost his memory. Then Jason made the same promise… and now look what’s happened. NOW, Apollo has made this promise. What calamity will happen next? Clearly someone doesn’t want the minor gods to have any recognition (my bet’s on Zeus. But would he really let Jason die? Eh…. Debatable)
- Crest: Oh my goodness my poor baby I really wanted you to learn how to play instruments whyyyyy
- Grover: Can we talk about this? Look at how much he’s grown! I’m so proud! I just want to give him a hug!
- That last scene with Leo and Piper and NOOOO: I saw on tumblr the post about the parallel between that scene and the one when Nico finds out about Bianca and honestly I can’t stop thinking about it and crying. This is just too heartbreaking! And the last scene in Magnus Chase with Percy/Annabeth? Even though we didn’t know whatthe tragedy was then, we know now, and that’s just horrible. And Nico? I hope he’s okay. I mean… he and Jason were getting along so well! *bursts into ugly sobs*
- REYNA YES. I AM READY FOR THIS: So next book will have everybody then, because of Jason? I’m just really excited about Reyna, okay?
What other things did you find exciting? Feel free to tell me about it! I love talking fan theories and parallels and crying about fictional characters!